My crazy polyphasic sleeper

Monday, March 27, 2006

Ok, so this is my first blog. I feel pressure to put SOMETHING up since my crazy husband is doing this polyphasic sleep thing, bloggin every day etc. with his progress, his thoughts, feelings etc. The idea of blogging appealed to me when he mentioned that a husband/wife combo were blogging about the husband's polyphasic success. The reason? well, SOMEONE has to tell it like it is and since he's CRAZY enough to try this, with weeks of research and preparation leading up to Day 0 as he likes to call it, he is definitely a bit partial.

So, what did I think when he told me he was seriously thinking about doing this? Well, honestly, I didn't freak, I didn't think "you crazy idiot" I actually listened to his reasons and then took a deep breath and tried to focus on the positives.

What are those?
1. Well, my husband, Jeremy was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea about 2 years ago. (what is that? well, I'll find a link and figure out how to put one of those in my nesxt post, ok? I'm new at this, so sue me) He has tried the c-pap machine (forces air into his lungs while sleeping) and the bi-pap machine (similar type but supposedly less intrusive) had corrective surgery for a deviated septum, cleaned out his turbinates (upper sinus above the nasal passages) and even bought a dental mouth guard to hold his jaw forward. So far, the apnea numbers are IMPROVED with these efforts, but he still doesn't get much restful sleep. He actually seems better after short naps more than a full nights sleep.

2. He's going to have to stay busy to stay awake which means a honey do list! I started working on that IMMEDIATELY and I have to say, if your husband is willing to clean up the house, mop, do laundry and load/unload the dishwasher while he tries this, even if it's for a short period, SAY YES! Anything to get more out of them!

3. Better sleep for me! I get a queen size bed aaaaall to myself, no snoring, no reminders to have him turn over (to which he usually argues with me about in his stupor, yet has no memory of) no worrying about him not waking up in the morning etc.

so, I have to say, even the "honey, I am going to change to a vegatarian diet" didn't phase me. I was only focusing on the tasks he could accomplish! So far, he has not let me down!

what did everyone else say when we told them?
his mother "WHAT?" in a nice sharp, incredulous voice that only a mother can have
his sister "That's just crazy" in an equally sharp, disbelieving pitch
another sister "what?" with an innocent blank look on her face like she had just put her hand in something terribly yucky but not sure what to wipe it on
his brother "good luck to you man" in a rather laid-back, I just smoked a joint kind of bobbing head approval
my mother "he's what?" it took about 15 minutes for her to fully understand it, and she's truely hoping it works
my sister "now that's just STUPID" in her judgemental, I know more than you voice

our friends were privy to the whole idea from the beginning. several helped him find the "tests" he mentions, more are trying to figure out how his new staying up all night can help THEM lol. I told them we can have a "rent a polyphasic sleeper" company and send them to people's homes for nightly chores :) So, we've laughed, we've cried, and we STILL went ahead with this.

I truely hope that it works. If it doesn't, the only really option left is for Jeremy to have MAJOR surgery I wouldn't wish on my, oh, sister! lol ok, maybe I would, just for her ;) but I'll describe that another time when I figure out this whole blog thing more.

for now, I'm just proud I got through the "setting up your own account" part of this! yea me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home